Being a professional Wedding DJ/Emcee, I cringe when I hear engaged couples say, “We want to save money, so we are going to put all of our music on an iPod and press play for our Wedding!” Yes- you will save money, but you won’t save yourselves a massive migraine and regret that you didn’t have a professional with music expertise and a mic. Here are my reasons why it’s better to look at ways of cutting your budget elsewhere and spend more money on your DJ entertainment.
- iPods can’t Emcee. How are you and your wedding party going to be introduced? And how are your guests going to know what is next?
- iPods can’t create a timeline for you and make sure the evening flows smoothly.
- Who is going to control the iPod? Mother of the Bride, Aunt Lucy, Grandpa Joe? I don’t think so – they are guests at the wedding and should remain that way.
- iPods don’t come with top of the line speakers. Average speakers will not fill the space of a big room with for 75+ guests.
- iPods can’t read a crowd and maintain energy on the dance floor!
- What if the iPod doesn’t work or malfunctions. What is your backup plan?
- iPods don’t beatmix. Beatmixing is blending the songs with similar tempo together, so you have a flawless stream of music from one song to the next without dead air. That 2 second gap between songs on an iPod can kill the energy on your dance floor.
If you are planning a wedding or have a friend or relative planning a wedding and you hear them say they are considering just using an iPod, please do them a HUGE favor and share this blog with them. Even better, have them call me!
I do have to add one more thing… I feel that there are specific wedding scenarios that an iPod could work. For example, if it’s a small intimate gathering (50 or less guests) or a backyard BBQ type situation.
“and if the music is good, they will dance.”